Eventide introduced ShimmerVerb. It is a unique reverb plug-in with parallel pitch-shifters for ethereal ambience. It is on sale now. You can download a free 30-day demo from the Eventide website.
ShimmerVerb combines a massively lustrous reverb with parallel pitch shifters to add ethereal layers masking any signal, well, “shimmer.” Oftentimes, producers would achieve the effect by using pitch shifting hardware such as Eventide’s H910, H949, or H3000 (or other rack mount units) in combination with a reverb.
This production technique was popularized by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno on U2’s The Unforgettable Fire. Now, this iconic sound has been has been refined and extended with a modern, unified interface that is great for adding dreamy ambiance to guitars, keys, synths, samples, and vocals.
ShimmerVerb shines via its playable, performance-based parameters. THE RIBBON is an easy to program performance macro allowing users to morph between two settings with one control. Desktop users can plug in a MIDI keyboard and gain tactile command over this function via the modulation wheel. Ribbon mappings are great for Feedback swells, moving the Pitch knobs, or changing the Size for a massive detuning result.
ShimmerVerb also boasts a HOTSWITCH for calling up another state of parameters inside the same preset. Use this for changing octaves, turning off/on the pitch shifters, or simply turning the Mix up or down while crafting your performance. Finally, the FREEZE button allows you to make smeared textures out of single voices, full pads, or percussive elements resulting in metallic “shimmers.”
- Unique reverb plug-in with parallel pitch-shifters on the reverb tail
- Easily pitch with perfect fourths, fifths, and octaves
- MicroPitch tuning available around perfect intervals
- Four octaves of pitch shifting (from two octaves down to two octaves up)
- Delay pitched signals up to one second or sync them to your DAW’s tempo
- FEEDBACK determines how much delayed signal is fed back into the input of the reverb
- Low, Mid, and High cross-over network determines which frequencies are fed back
- FREEZE holds the current state of the reverb in a smeared texture
- The RIBBON allows for real-time modification of several parameters at once
- HOTSWITCH allows for instant switching between two sets of parameters within one preset