Nikon introduced the full-frame Nikon FX-format mirrorless cameras Nikon Z 7 and Nikon Z 6, as well as NIKKOR Z lenses, featuring a new, larger-diameter mount.
The Z 7 and Z 6 are equipped with a new backside illumination, Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor with focal-plane phase-detection AF pixels, and the latest image-processing engine, EXPEED 6.
The Z 7 has 45.7 effective megapixels, and supports a standard sensitivity range of ISO 64-25600. In combination with NIKKOR Z lenses, the camera achieves an outstanding level of sharpness and detail, all the way to the edges of the image.
The Z 6 is an all-purpose FX-format camera with 24.5 effective megapixels, and supports the wide range of ISO 100-51200 standard sensitivities. With superior performance at high sensitivities and full-frame 4K UHD movie recording with full pixel readout, the Z 6 responds to a variety of needs such as shooting in dimly lit environments, and movie recording.
Primary features of the Z 7 and Z 6 include:
- Equipped with a new backside illumination Nikon FX-format CMOS sensor with focal-plane phase detection AF pixels
- A hybrid AF system with focus points covering approximately 90% of the imaging area
- The new EXPEED 6 image-processing engine for sharp and clear imaging, and new functions that support creative imaging expression
- An electronic viewfinder that utilizes Nikon’s superior optical and image-processing technologies to offer a clear and natural view
- An ergonomic design unique to Nikon that enables intuitive operation
- Movie functions such as 10-bit N-Log that captures a wide dynamic range, and timecoding, responding to professional needs
- Nikon’s first in-camera vibration reduction with approx. 5.0-stop effectiveness
In addition, Nikon also released three new lenses compatible with the Nikon Z mount system’s full-frame (Nikon FX format) mirrorless cameras, for which a new larger-diameter mount has been adopted, as well as the Mount Adaptor FTZ.
The three new lenses are the standard zoom NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/4S, the wide-angle prime NIKKOR Z 35mm f/1.8S, and the standard NIKKOR Z 50mm f/1.8S.
They are S-Line interchangeable lenses. The S-Line is a newly designated grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that adhere to a new benchmark in optical performance, creating new definitions of design principles and quality control.