Dr. Z Amplification makes hand-wried guitar amplifiers, speaker cabs, attenuators and the Z-Drive pedal. Their products are made in the U.S.A. Dr. Z Amplification released the Z-PLUS amplifier.
The Z-PLUS is a single-end, amplifier in true Class A configuration, which yields a rich clean tone that smoothly overdrives into gritty, harmonic-laden distortion. Single ended, Class A operation produces full even-order harmonics which are typically cancelled in traditional push-pull, Class A/B tube amp designs. The result is sparkling and satisfying tone with the full range of 2nd and 4th order harmonics with clarity akin to an full bodied, acoustic guitar.
The Z-PLUS was created when Joe Walsh approached Dr. Z for a new amp to use on the latest Eagles’s tour. He was using small, single ended Tweed combos. The Z-PLUS utilizes two 6V6 power tubes in parallel, which increases clean headroom, per Joe Walsh’s request.
Some specifications include:
- Power output: 7.15 Watts (half power mode)
- Output Tubes: 2 – 6V6 (Class A, cathode biased)
- Preamp Tubes: 4 – 12AX7, 1 – 12AT7
- Rectifier: 1 – 5AR4
- Controls: Volume, Treble, Mid, Bass, Cut, Master Volume, Reverb
- Configurations: 1×12 Studio Combo, 1×12 Ultra Lite Combo
- Colors: Black, Blonde, Red