HandBrake has been a handy tool for media creators for over a decade. The free, open-source application makes it easy to convert and encode media of almost any format. HandBrake recently crossed an important milestone in its development, having finally reached an official version 1.0.0 release:
After more than 13 years of development, the HandBrake Team is delighted to present HandBrake 1.0.0. Thank you to all of our many contributors over the years for making HandBrake what it is today.
Here are some features included in HandBrake 1.0.0:
– New online documentation at https://handbrake.fr/docs
– Completely overhauled the official presets
– New general use presets for broad compatibility
– New device presets, now more up-to-date for common devices
– New web presets
– New Matroska (MKV) presets, including VP9 video with Opus audio
– Official presets from HandBrake 0.10.x are still available under “Legacy”
– New JSON-based preset system including command line support
– New JSON-based API for interacting with libhb
– Improvements to audio/video sync engine to better handle difficult sources
– Many miscellaneous bug fixes and improvements
– VP9 video encoding via libvpx
– Intel QuickSync Video H.265/HEVC encoder
– Requires Intel Skylake or newer CPU
– Ultra HD / 4K color pass through (support for BT.2020)
– Additional standard frame rate selections in the graphical interfaces
– New Auto anamorphic mode maximizes storage resolution, replaces Strict anamorphic mode
– New Pad filter (command line only for now)
– New Decomb/Deinterlace filter settings and improved defaults
– Rotate filter now available in all graphical interfaces
– New NLMeans filter tunes Tape and Sprite for analog tape recordings and vintage video games, respectively
– Assembly optimizations NLMeans filter improve performance up to 10%
– Assembly optimizations in x264 encoder improve performance for faster presets by 5-10%
– x265 encoder quality improvements, especially when using tune grain
– High bit depth encoding support via external shared libraries (video pipeline is still 8-bit 4:2:0)
– x264 10-bit
– x265 10-bit and 12-bit
To learn more about HandBrake 1.0.0, click the link at the top of this article. HandBrake is available as a free download for macOS, Windows, and Linux, as a well as a command-line version of the application.
Musicians and audio producers are always looking for new ways to extend their sonic palettes. For years, creating new sound textures required racks full of hardware, or other effects processors that came in the forms of pedals or dedicated computer applications. But the mobile computing revolution that’s taken hold in recent years with the advent of smartphones and tablets has made it much easier to put powerful audio-processing applications in the palm of your hand. The latest example of this phenomenon comes courtesy of a new iOS app called Echo Pitch:
Echo Pitch pitch-shifting multi-delay for iPhone. Echo Pitch has 4 delays where each delayed signal can be pitched one octave up or down in 1/2 steps, and can function as a 4 voice harmonizer. Echo Pitch also has a built-in looper, amp simulator and reverb. Each of the four delays can be routed into the other for incredible, swirling, ambient washes and otherworldly sounds.
The developers of Echo Pitch recommend that the app be used on an iOS device with an external audio interface, such as the IK Multimedia iRig or Fender Slide. The app is available for download in the iOS App Store for $3.99.
This video provides a good demo of the Echo Pitch app.
Creating video files can be a real hassle. Different devices, different operating systems, different web browsers and applications, all have their own requirements when it comes to presenting video. Ideally, video producers could just offer one “master” file for distribution, and all of those different outlets would adapt that master file to their needs. But it truly is less than an ideal world when it comes to video distribution. That’s why it’s important to be able to offer video productions in as many formats as possible. But it’s not always easy to know which formats to use or how to create them. That’s where the WinX Video Converter application from Digiarty comes in.
WinX Video Converter is available for both Windows and MacOS. Here are some of the program’s features:
- Video converter that supports 1080p multi-track video MKV, M2TS, AVCHD, HDTV and BDAV
- Convert video between AVI, MP4, H.264, WMV, MPEG, FLV, MOV, 3GP, QT, TS, MOD, TOD, and more
- Support for merging, croping, trimming and adjusting parameters to control output size and quality
- comes with diverse device presets for iPad Pro/mini 4/Air 2, iPhone SE/6S/6 (Plus)/5S, Apple TV (4), iTunes, Android, Samsung Galaxy Note 5/S6 edge+, HTC One M8, Google New Nexus 7, Chromecast, Amazon Kindle Fire, Surface Pro 3, WP8, Xbox, PSP, and more
Digiarty is offering a special free version of Video Converter thru Monday, July 11th. The Mac version can be downloaded here. The Windows version can be downloaded here.
Music and audio equipment manufacturer Line 6 revolutionized the guitar effects industry with the release of its POD effects processor nearly two decades ago. The company hasn’t stopped innovating since. When it was clear that iOS, the operating system that runs Apple’s mobile devices, could be used for more than just placing phone calls and sending text messages, Line 6 began developing a special POD-inspired app for iOS. Hence, the Mobile POD app was born. Mobile POD was recently updated to version 2.0.
The app comes packed with 65 classic amps and effects for dialing in the perfect guitar tone, Users can save preferred custom tones or choose from presets designed by Line 6 engineers. Updated UI combines ease of use with fast interaction, and features a dynamic layout that adapts to any iOS screen. Updated ergonomics offer immediate on-screen access to all parameter settings while simultaneously allowing for precise editing with a single finger.
With Mobile POD 2.0 and an iOS device and it becomes possible to practice, jam, or record anywhere. Need to lay down some guitar tracks at 2AM without waking the neighbors? Maybe head out into the wilderness (or just the backyard) to do some inspired composing? It’s all possible with this app from Line 6.
Mobile POD 2.0 is available as a free download from the App Store. To unlock all of the app’s features, a $19.99 in-app purchase is required.
Gigging musicians were living the mobile-gear life long before everyone was walking around with high-powered computers in their pockets. This required many musicians, especially guitarists, to have to tote around a kit full of tools and accessories, with the guitar tuner being paramount among them. But what about those times when you’ve accidentally left the tuner at home? Used to be, if you were lucky, you could borrow one from a bandmate. Or hope that maybe the bass player is actually in tune and you could tune off of his instrument. Those kinds of hassles are a thing of the past thanks to apps like UltraTuner from IK Multimedia.
IK Multimedia has been making products for the mobile musician for years. But those products have been focused on iOS. For the first time, along with its new iRig 2 and iRig HD-A, IK Multimedia is bringing UltraTuner to the Android platform. UltraTuner can be used with one of the above interfaces or it can also be used with your device’s built-in microphone.
UltraTuner features an advanced note-detection engine that delivers accuracy down to +/- 1/100 of a cent, making it ideal for precision tuning and calibration of all instruments from electric guitars to analog synthesizers and beyond. UltraTuner achieves such fine results thru a patented note detection engine that utilizes a proprietary dual-analysis process to deliver frequency readings with incredible accuracy.
Continue reading IK Multimedia Brings UltraTuner Guitar Tuning App to Android